December 15, 2023
NHS to launch public consultation on older people’s mental health inpatient services
In the New Year the local NHS will launch a public consultation on improving mental health care for older people on inpatient wards across Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield.
The consultation will ask people to share their views about creating a specialist inpatient service for older people with dementia, and dedicated wards for older people living with other mental health needs such as anxiety, depression or psychosis, which are known as ‘functional mental health’.
South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and NHS West Yorkshire Integrated Care Board are working together on the consultation. They will be sharing more information in early January 2024, which will include details of the proposals and how people can give their views.
Before then, the local NHS wants to let people know about drop in events that they will be holding across our area where you can find out more about the consultation, ask any questions, and give your views. People are invited to drop into the events anytime between 2-7pm, there is no need to book in advance.
The consultation events will be held from 2–7pm on the following dates:
- Tuesday 16 January, Halifax Town Hall, HX1 1UJ
- Wednesday 17 January, Brian Jackson House, Huddersfield, HD1 5JP
- Thursday 18 January, Balne Lane Community Centre, Wakefield, WF2 0DP
- Tuesday 23 January, Hemsworth Community Centre, Pontefract, WF9 4NE
- Wednesday 24 January, Hebden Bridge Town Hall, HX7 7BY
- Thursday 25 January, Dewsbury Town Hall, WF12 8DG
The event venues are accessible for wheelchair users and have induction loops. Guide dogs are also welcome.
There will also be online meetings on the following dates. Information about how to join these will be published on our dedicated consultation website – www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/opsconsultation – which will be launched in January.
- Wednesday 31 January, 10 – 11.30am
- Tuesday 6 February, 10.30am – 12pm
- Saturday 10 February, 10.30am – 12pm
This consultation will be important for local communities in Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield.
Once the consultation closes all the feedback received will help the local NHS make an informed decision.