There are a range of services in Wakefield District here to help you – from minor conditions to urgent care. You can help your NHS, and access the most appropriate care for your needs faster, by choosing the right healthcare option.

NHS 111

Blue triangle with 111 inside and slogan 'Help Us Help You'NHS 111 can help if you have an urgent medical problem and you’re not sure what to do.

To get help from NHS 111, you can:

  • Go to (for those aged five and over only)
  • Call 111

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you’re Deaf and want to use the phone service, you can use the NHS 111 British Sign Language service:

You can also call 18001 111 on a textphone.

GP Care Wakefield

If you are registered with a Wakefield District GP practice, and feel unwell when they are closed, you can get help from GP Care Wakefield’s evening and weekend clinics.


Call your GP surgery telephone number. If your practice is closed, your call will be diverted through to GP Care Wakefield when they are open.


All calls are answered by a friendly care navigator who works in Wakefield, usually within a few minutes.


Explain your symptoms as clearly as you can so the care navigator can book you into the relevant clinic or advise you to contact your practice if more appropriate.


Evening and weekend clinics are available by appointment only. If you are asked to come in for a face-to-face appointment, this will be at Trinity Medical Centre, Pontefract Hospital or Elizabeth Court Surgery.


The service is open:

Monday to Friday: 4pm – 10pm

Saturday/Bank Holidays: 9am – 5pm

Sunday: 9am – 5pm


More information about GP Care Wakefield is available on the Conexus Healthcare website.

How to register with a GP

Anyone in England can register with a GP surgery. It’s free to register.


You do not need proof of address or immigration status, ID or an NHS number.


GP surgeries are usually the first contact if you have a health problem. They can treat many conditions and give health advice. They can also refer you to other NHS services.


Find a GP that suits what you need. Some GP surgeries offer more services than others. You can look up GP surgeries to see what they offer and how they compare.


You can:

• check the GP surgery website to see if you can register online
• call or email the GP surgery and ask to be registered as a patient


You can download a GMS1 registration form on GOV.UK if you’re asked to complete one.
You do not need proof of ID to register with a GP, but it might help if you have one or more of the following:


• passport
• birth certificate
• HC2 certificate
• rough sleepers’ identity badge
• hostel or accommodation registration or mail forwarding letter


If you’re homeless, you can give a temporary address, such as a friend’s address, a day centre or the GP surgery address.


More information about registering with a GP can be found on the NHS website.

Urgent and Emergency Care

King Street Walk In Centre, Wakefield

King Street Walk in Centre is a nurse-led service, open seven days a week, 365 days a year, between the hours of 10am and 10pm.


The service has a dedicated team of experienced practitioners including nurse practitioners, advanced nurse practitioners and paramedics who are trained to diagnose and treat minor illnesses and injuries.


Ring the service on 01924 882350 to speak to a clinician.


Pontefract Urgent Treatment Centre


Pontefract Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) is available and open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


It is led by a team of GPs with experience in emergency medicine, who work alongside advanced nurse practitioners and emergency nurse practitioners to see and treat a range of minor illnesses and injuries.


To book an appointment, please ring NHS 111.

Mental Health services

Turning Point Talking Therapies

Feeling anxious, low or stressed? Turning Point can offer free help.

If you are aged 16 years or older and are registered with a GP surgery in the Wakefield District, you can access NICE recommended therapies at Turning Point Talking Therapies by contacting them directly on 01924 234 860 or by emailing


24 hour mental health helpline

For anyone registered with a GP in Wakefield, the service supports people who are:


• At risk of developing mental health problems
• Diagnosed with common mental health problems
• Accessing mental health support
• Experiencing mental health distress
• Seeking information, advice and support


You can now use this service by calling 0800 183 0558.


Night OWLS

A confidential support line for children and young people in crisis. Helping them, their parents and carers living in Bradford, Leeds, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield.


Night OWLS can help you if you…


• Feel you have nowhere to turn
• Feel you can’t go on living
• Are in a crisis
• Are finding it hard to cope with life
• Are feeling angry, lonely, anxious or depressed
• Are feeling confused or finding it hard to think straight
• Are feeling unsafe
• Are caring for a young person
• Just want to talk


Open 8pm – 8am every day, you can contact Night OWLS on freephone 0300 2003900, by text 07984 392700 or chat on

GP online consultation

Online consultations are a way for patients to contact their GP practice without having to queue on the phone or take time out of their busy lifestyles to come into the practice.


Find out more on the West Yorkshire Health and Care Partnership website.


The Together We Can website also highlights the range of services available to us and when best to use them, depending on our circumstances.

Service Directories

Community Wakefield provides a cross-sector directory which is available online.


For volunteering opportunities, head to the Volunteer Wakefield directory.

Green Leaf