November 2, 2022
Choose well for mental health – a guide for children and young people
A new guide to help children and young people in Barnsley, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield choose well for mental health has been launched by South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
The ‘choose well for mental health’ guide will enable people to find the right service for their mental health and wellbeing needs, and:
- Support people in looking after their mental health and wellbeing
- Inform people about how to access the right support when they need it
- Help people know what to do if they, or someone they know, experience a mental health crisis or emergency.
Parents, carers, families and friends can also use the guide to look out for children and young people close to them and help them get the right support and advice.
The guide has been co-created with children and young people with lived experience, and specialist healthcare teams who work with them, carers and their families.
The ‘choose well for mental health’ guide for children and young people covers a wide range of support and advice, including:
- Things people can do to help look after their own mental health, emotions and wellbeing (self-care)
- Talking to someone
- Family help and support
- GP practices and referral to mental health services
- Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) for help with specialist mental health concerns
- What to do in an emergency or crisis.